Monday, July 20, 2026

Hilton Head Island: a man of leisure

I woke this morning at 5:15, glanced at the time, rolled over and went back to sleep, waking again at 6:30 when I got up, made coffee, poured a half glass of grapefruit juice, and returned to bed to read what poses as the news and some poetry.  Rather pleasant being a man of leisure for a while.

Two mornings ago I woke at 5:30 and was at GANNET before 7:00 intending to wax and polish the port side of the hull.  I only did a small portion of the hull near the bow before it became obvious that this wasn’t going to work.  I painted the hull almost fourteen years ago and the paint is too old and dead to be revived.  So I stopped and biked home.  

I was surprised that the heat bothered me so early in the day, until back in the air conditioned condo I checked the National Weather Service at the Hilton Head Airport, three miles from our condo, and found that at 8:51 the heat index there was 103.  It remained over 100 until 6 PM, topping out at 105.

I have not decided if I will pay to have the hull painted or sail down to the boat yard at St. Marys and do it myself.  If I do, it won’t be until after the summer heat has abated.

The next item on my GANNET to do list is to paint the carbon fiber bow sprit.  I am waiting for a can of spay paint to be delivered before I can do that.  Perhaps late this week.  In the meantime I will be sleeping in.

No comments: