Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Lake Forest: the last slice; POOR THINGS; gannets

 


Snow was falling and the temperature was below freezing when I walked three blocks to the train station Monday morning for my final slicing by the beautiful skin cancer doctor.  I noted ruefully that at that moment Hilton Head was 70F/21C and sunny.  

I also noted that morning a news item headed ‘Christie Brinkley Diagnosed With Skin Cancer.’  Having a long running personal interest in skin cancer I read the article and found that she has a basal cell carcinoma which is hardly newsworthy, although its removal will leave a scar which, depending on location, may be more significant to Christie Brinkley than it is to me. 

Although the distance from Lake Forest to downtown Chicago is little more than thirty miles, the commute involves changing trains and takes most of two hours.

Once in the office I was treated quickly and efficiently.  Mine a squamous cell.  And for the first time had my lower leg wrapped in a pressure bandage and was prescribed antibiotics.  The beautiful skin cancer doctor waited to make the biggest slice last.  I will miss not only her beauty, but her professional excellence.  I have yet to find anyone on Hilton Head who is even remotely as good as doctor as she.

The pressure bandage stays on a week.  The stitches for two.  I am going to try to resume my workouts later this afternoon, doing push-ups without putting weight on my right foot.



POOR THINGS is a strange, unusual, original and ultimately excellent movie.  I say ultimately because I was somewhat disenchanted with the first fifteen or twenty minutes of the film which seemed like a less funny Addams Family.  However as the story developed it became exceptional.  I would not be surprised that in time POOR THINGS will be considered a classic.  We rented it from Amazon Prime.  It is available for rental from several other sources as well.  Here is a link to a review with which I entirely agree.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/poor-things-movie-review-2023



The gannet photo is taken from THE TIMES OF LONDON.  


No comments: