Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Lake Forest: west

I made the move on Saturday.  An ordeal, but not a severe one.  I am of course so old that I remember when flying was enjoyable.  The warnings about crowded airports were justified.  Hilton Head’s is small and was a sardine tin.  O’Hare is big and was crowded, but O’Hare is always crowded.  I observed far more aircraft taxiing at O’Hare than I ever have before.  The operation of major airports is impressive.  Carol was waiting in the cell phone lot.  I called and she picked me up. 

Sunday saw record rainfall in what is known as Chicagoland.  Up to 9”/23 cm in some places caused flooding.  In Lake Forest which is 32 miles from downtown Chicago we had only 2”/4\5cm.

Yesterday and today have been sunny.  We took an abbreviated bike ride this morning, but the bike path was far too crowded.  I notice a theme here.  There are many parades scheduled, including the one in Highland Park a few miles south which was the scene of a mass shooting a year ago.

I am here until September 1, when we fly to Hilton Head, again over a holiday weekend, Carol to remain a week, I for the rest of the year.  The politically incorrectly named Hilton Head Plantation, the gated community in which our condo is located, is not crowded, but it is in the summer very hot.

I am not fond of holidays, but I wish my American friends a pleasant and safe one.

4 comments:

David said...

Pavarotti and James Brown : an absolute classic https://youtu.be/GaB9F3R9cIY

Hugh said...

Welcome back to the sweltering midwest, Webb! We had a derecho downstate almost a week ago, which battered Champaign-Urbana. I flew in that evening and it was chaotic. We lost a lot of big branches off our huge silver maple, but luckily none on our roof. Time to trim that big boy back.

Webb said...

I enjoyed that. Pavarotti got around. Thanks, David.

Ken said...

Webb, The Highland Park event wasn’t a parade but rather a “healing” walk by a few thousand residents. There were no floats, music, gymnsastics tetc . Marchers had to register and go thru metal detectors.
Gary Sinese who grew up in HP performed that night. Again no fireworks but rather a drone show. What a world…
Ken