Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Lake Forest: a quiz, two poems, and a ceasefire

Which Twentieth Century political figure said three days before his death, “Afterwards, you rue the fact that you’ve been so kind”?

I invite you to make your guesses in a comment.  I will provide the answer tomorrow.



It is reported that Immanuel Kant was so regular in his daily walks that citizens of Koningsberg could set their watches by them.  I am not that regular, but you can be certain that I read some poetry and listen to some Bach every day.  Sometimes I happen across a familiar poem which is like unexpectedly meeting an old friend.  I did a few days ago in the SEASHELL ANTHOLOGY OF GREAT POETRY.



I don’t recall where I first read that poem, but I do recall quoting it in STORM PASSAGE during my five month passage around Cape Horn in 1975-76.  Though at the time of that passage I had no love, I thought one would come, and she did.


Here is another poem I read recently in the SEASHELL ANTHOLOGY which I had not before.  I do not know such sorrow.





CEASEFIRE is a fine French film about the lives in the early 1920s of two brothers who were French soldiers during WW1.  One seeks escape from remembered horrors in Africa for a while.  The other remains in France traumatized by those horrors for a while.  They are reunited.  I watched on Amazon Prime and suggest that you might find doing so time well spent.








No comments: