Friday, February 3, 2023

Hilton Head Island: we’re number 1; little known beauty


 



My flights yesterday were uneventful.  There are no non-stop flights from Chicago to Hilton Head during the winter, so I changed planes in Charlotte.  I arrived on the island under overcast skies and took a taxi to the condo, where I found all as I left it and blessed silence.  Rain this morning ended as forecast around noon and the sun is now shining and Skull Creek sparkling.  However, this version of paradise is doomed.

According to an article from ProPublica I saw online this morning about climate change which lists the counties in the United States at the greatest risk from a combination of threats, Beaufort County, South Carolina, is number one.  That’s us.  It also happens to be one of the counties in the U.S. experiencing the fastest population growth, although from a relatively low base.

https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/

I do not expect to be around to experience this, but Carol might.  My thoughts about possibly having lived in the good old days are growing stronger.



I have written several times that the three most beautiful islands I have sailed to are Moorea, Bora-Bora, and Lord Howe.  The first two are well known.  The last much less so, and except for Australians and New Zealanders, probably not at all.  That is to its advantage.  I sailed there twice with Jill on RESURGAM.  David, of whom I have also written, an obstetrician/sailor, who was born in New Zealand and now resides in Australia, recently sailed there on his East Coast 31’ SAPPHIRE BREEZE and sent me the above photos.  I thank David for reminding me of how beautiful the island is and allowing me to share them with you.

When I last visited Lord Howe more than thirty years ago there were government regulations limiting the full time population to 400 and permitting a maximum of 400 visitors on the island at any one time, very wisely I think.

While there David climbed Mt. Gower, 830 meters/2723’.  One of the photos is the spectacular view from the top.  Another of part of the way up.  I, who do not like heights, never even thought of climbing it.

I miss that part of the world.










No comments: