Friday, February 10, 2023

Hilton Head Island: Gabrielle; blocked; Australiana; Laphroaig; back


Zane, who lives in Auckland and whose parent’s home was partially flooded in that city’s recent record rainfall, emailed me about what has now become cyclone Gabrielle which is predicted by all models to make landfall in northern New Zealand in the next few days.  As you can see from the screen shot of this morning’s earth wind map Gabrielle is presently off the Queensland coast.  It a category three storm.  It is expected to weaken some as it moves out of the tropics and over cooler waters, but is still forecast to be a serious storm that will drop considerable more unneeded rain over the north of New Zealand.  It is being called by some sensationalists ‘the storm of the century’.  Get serious.  The century is not even a quarter over and it is far too early to be talking about anything being ‘the…..of the century’.  

My thoughts are with all of those who will have to endure another deluge.



A friend sent me a link to a movie about Mike Plant, an American sailor who died at sea in 1992. I knew of him, but I never thought he did anything significant or original.  However, I tried to watch the movie.  I only made it to the second minute when someone claimed “Mike Plant is American’s greatest solo sailor.’

There are two men who have legitimate claims to being America’s greatest solo sailor.  One is Joshua Slocum and the other is not Mike Plant.

I decided to google him to see if he had ever done anything I missed.   At Wikipedia I found that he didn’t.  

There is a statement there that says he was at the time of his death one of only five men to have made three solo circumnavigations.  In 1992 that may have been true, but is no longer.  Among I expect several others, I have made three solo circumnavigations:  my first, fifth and sixth.

Being at Wikipedia I went to the bare bones article about myself which someone kindly created.  I decided to try to upload the chart of my circumnavigations and some photos and clicked on the edit button and got this:


I have never before tried to submit anything to Wikipedia.  Our Internet comes through T-Mobile Internet.  We have been with them only a few months.  They provide the router, which seems to be new.  So I have no idea why this appears and at present don’t feel like reading through their FAQ and too numerous rules.  



Australia, as well as New Zealand, has recently been very much on my mind.

I have received several emails from readers there.

I just finished reading Patrick White’s THE VIVISECTOR, a novel about a painter who lived in Sydney, which remains my favorite big city in the world.  I have spent a total of three years there on various voyages.

An album by the late Aboriginal singer, Gurrumul, came up on one of my playlists.

And I wore my Akubra hat on the flights back from Chicago.  For American readers, Akubra is perhaps the best known Australian hat brand, similar to our Stetson.  I am gradually moving more clothing from Lake Forest to Hilton Head prior to the final move next year.  I realized that hat is almost forty years old.  I bought it during 1986-87 when Jill and I lived aboard RESURGAM for a year on a mooring in Sydney’s Elizabeth Bay.  Akubras really do last forever.  Too bad I don’t have anyone to will it to.



I thank Tim for a link to a video about my favorite liquid.

https://youtu.be/sUFa_GxgPqY

I watched and enjoyed it last evening.  In the background of some scenes I saw a marina I did not know is there.  Tempting.

I confess that I do not find in Laphroaig the citrus and pineapple touches that are claimed in the video, but then I find the language of wine tasting also alien.

Naturally the video resulted in my wanting a sip of the golden pour.  Alas, I had none on hand, and almost constant rain was forecast for today and tomorrow.  Liquor stores aren’t open in South Carolina on Sundays so I was faced with a disconsolate wait until Monday.

I woke this morning to low skies and rain.  However at a little after 9 there was a break and I made a break for the supermarket and nearby liquor store four miles away, pedaling fast.

I made it to the stores in twenty minutes, five minutes faster than usual.  Bought the last two bottles of 10 year Laphroaig at the liquor store; bought berries, grapefruit juice, milk, sushi, a salad, a container of frozen shrimp and sausage gumbo, and another of Cherries Garcia ice cream at the supermarket.  Then pedaled furiously for Skull Creek.  I made it home just before the rain resumed.  My legs are back.  Maybe they weren’t as far gone as I thought, but muscles do return when you use them, even when you are seriously old.








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To call Mike Plant the greatest American Solo Sailor is to highlight the vast ignorance of those in their circle of heavily sponsored and over hyped world of yacht racing.

Sevdo said...

Hello, mr. Chiles
I am a long time reader of your journal, articles and books and share a lot of your points of view..So I would like to bring to your attention the documentary "The Sailor" of Lucia Kasova. It can be watched on YouTube for free. I think it would be interesting for you and I am curios about your coment.
Best regards,
Sevdo

Webb said...

I will look for 'The Sailor'. I do not know of her.

Anonymous said...

I think sbe is the doco director, Lucia. The doco itself is about the late Paul Johnson, who sailed from Uk to West Indies on an 18 footer 'Venus'...he is mentioned in one of Moitessiers early books.
I have not been able to bring myself to watch the full doco...it is only a year or so before Paul passed away, and his physical ailments brought about by being an alcoholic are quite jarring -- I think the doco should have been made 30 to 40 years ago when he was in his prime, designing and buidling robust sailing vessels, many of which are still sailing today on the worlds oceans.

Unknown said...

I am quite certain you do not remember our correspondence in the late 70s. I wrote to you while you were sailing around alone. I sent you an e-mail. I hope you get it. I have lost touch with your career since I "grew up" and subsequently grew old. I have been retired for 18 years. I used to race against an Erickson 37 R/C in Annapolis in the early 80s. She was FAST! I have one of twelve Carter 3/4 tonners built in 1975 for the Admiral's Cup that year. I look forward to getting her back in the water and rigged for singlehanding.

Anonymous said...

In lieu of anyone else, will The Hat to me: ANONYMOUS. (You know where to find me.)
AND . . . Must-see: Publish a picture of you in The Hat.

wallawallabob said...

Cheers Webb into 2023 no I’m still in San Diego at Chula Vista Marina on my Coronado 35. I was thinking about you and your favorite beverage as I was able to source you a bottle when you return to the Silver gate yacht club after your six solo voyage
Happy that you are happy and continue to stay healthy. I have attached some photos of you arriving at the Silver gate. I hope you enjoy them and your favorite beverage.
Bob Ashmore Facebook
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WGjvLRfzy5S8MbyPA