Saturday, November 5, 2022

Hilton Head Island: small boat cursing; steady; days off

I thank Kent for forwarding a link that he received from Doug Elliott to an article at PRACTICAL SAILOR about small boat cursing (sic.) which is amusing and caused me to consider that perhaps there ought to be a book, THE COMPLETE CURSER.  

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/keep-calm-and-carry-on-cursing



From Eric in Quebec comes a link to a YouTube film, 'Steady As She Goes', about racing the 161' schooner, GOODWILL, in the 1959 TransPac from Los Angeles to Honolulu.   I thank him.  I do not watch many sailing videos, but I enjoyed this one, despite the narration being over the top, because of the history, the size of the boat, and some dramatic footage of damage she sustained.

watch

1959 was the year I graduated from high school and started college.  Sailboat design and construction has changed a lot since then.  The 73' WINDWARD PASSAGE and the Santa Cruz ultra-lights were transformative.



Of ultra-lights, I got the second and last coat of paint on the bilge of mine on Thursday, and then took yesterday off.  Today, too.  And tomorrow.  I'll sand wood Monday.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windward Passage is now docked in Newport Beach, California. It was been maintained / restored in mint condition. It is spectacular.

Webb said...

I saw her twice. Once in San Diego when I had EGREGIOUS at Kettenburg's boat yard for repairs to the mast and rig between my second and third attempts at Cape Horn. I was impressed by her two man crew moving her easily from the dock.

Then again in Sydney, Australia, more than a decade later when an Australian owned her.

Her lines and deck were admirably clean. She was and is a big dinghy.

I am pleased to know that she is being properly cared for.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea sailing was so heroic. I should never have switched to a van.