Monday, July 4, 2022

Hilton Head Island: cosmos mariner; maverick; prepared; books read; pieces of the puzzle

 


A few evenings ago Carol and I rewatched MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL which is largely set in Savannah.  When we first saw it in the late 90s we never thought we would be living nearby.  At least I didn’t.

You may have noticed David’s comment on the post ‘Outside’

https://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/2022/06/hilton-head-island-outside.html

and possibly wondered about the reference to ‘Cosmos Mariner’.  It comes from the book on which the movie is based.  The poet, Conrad Aiken, was sitting on a bench beside the Savannah River when he saw a ship heading toward the ocean.  Her name was COSMOS MARINER.  Aiken wondered where she was going and found in the shipping news:  COSMOS MARINER:  destination unknown.



Saturday afternoon we went to see and thoroughly enjoyed TOP GUN:  MAVERICK, a worthy successor to the original TOP GUN.  Jim, a retired fighter pilot, recommended it and wrote me that it may be the best flying film ever.  It has hand grabbing excitement.  I know because Carol grabbed mine.  It also has an actress, Jennifer Connelly, of arresting beauty at age 51.

The film includes a gratuitous sailing scene.  As Jim pointed out, San Diego does not have enough wind to make it dramatic, so it was shot on San Francisco Bay.



Yesterday morning Carol and I biked early six miles round trip to Dolphin Point on Port Royal Sound and swam in the condo pool in the afternoon.

This morning we walked down to GANNET, where I prepared the little boat to be left for two months, doubling dock lines, tying down the tiller, tying the clew of the furling jib, stowing a couple of loose pieces of gear in the interior.

Removing the sails and stowing them below is a good idea, but I choose not to.  Removing the fully battened main is a major project requiring removing the boom from the mast. Lowering the jib is not difficult, but bending it back on the furling gear again alone is.

Unfortunately the detested ferry boat is still tied on the other side of the dock.



Books read January to June 2022.






Pieces of the puzzle:

I am good health.

I love where I live, surrounded by serenity and beauty, and with GANNET 500’ away.

I have lived far longer than I ever expected and have accomplished more.

I have lived the life I wanted to.

Carol.

I miss the monastery of the sea.

Something inside says:  If you can do more, you ought to.  Even:  you must try.



The top photo comes from the BBC WILDLIFE magazine.  I’m sure you recognize the birds.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And there is more Bach to hear.