Friday, January 14, 2022

Hilton Head Island: Cyclone Cody; DEATH TO 2021; GERONIMO; masked again


Every morning I check the Earth Wind Map.


During hurricane season I am particularly looking for tight spirals such as you see above in a screen shot taken this morning. When our hurricane season ends, the cyclone season begins on the better side of the Equator.  It seems the typhoon season never really ends.  I don’t know why.

I have seen this storm for several days.  It is named Cody.  You probably know what I think of naming storms, but sadly I am not in charge of these things.  It caused flooding and some damage in Fiji and is now on its way toward New Zealand.  The latest track shows that it will pass just east of the North Island, but close enough to cause rain, wind and big waves.  Cyclones weaken as they move south in that hemisphere into cooler water.  With the oceans warming they may become a more frequent problem for my Kiwi friends.



I don’t expect everyone will enjoy the Netflix original, DEATH TO 2021, a satirical review of the year’s news, particularly Trump supporters, but I watched it last night and I did.  You might too.



I also watched on Netflix last night the 1993 movie, GERONIMO, starring Wes Studi in the title role, and Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, and Matt Damon.  I found it an enjoyable movie shot in front of spectacularly beautiful scenery.  I found myself wondering why Geronimo surrendered rather than die fighting.  Perhaps he just got too old and tired.  But I thought also that he would not have had the benefit of reading history and so might have thought governments keep their word.  Apparently Geronimo thought so too.  From Wikipedia:

Geronimo as a U.S. prisoner in 1905

Death[edit]

In February 1909, Geronimo was thrown from his horse while riding home, and had to lie in the cold all night until a friend found him extremely ill.[34] He died of pneumonia on February 17, 1909, as a prisoner of the United States at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.[74] On his deathbed, he confessed to his nephew that he regretted his decision to surrender.[34] His last words were reported to be said to his nephew, "I should have never surrendered. I should have fought until I was the last man alive."[75] He was buried at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in the Beef Creek Apache Cemetery.[76]









I also rewatched my zoom San Francisco Single Handed Sailing Society video and immodestly I enjoyed that too.





Hilton Head Island is strongly Republican, but these are not anti-mask, anti-vaccine Republicans.  Many of them are old and not stupid and don’t want to die.  Early last year Hilton Head had a local ordinance making masks mandatory inside business and public buildings, but the Governor in his wisdom issued a mandate prohibiting such local ordinances.  However, when I biked to the Publix supermarket a week ago, I noticed that many of the customers were again wearing masks.  I took one with me when I biked to Publix this morning and am glad I did.  All of the staff and more than 90% of the customers wore masks.  I only saw three people without them.














No comments: