Monday, October 4, 2021

Hilton Head Island: 36 years and a good joke






I am back in the air conditioned condo after biking to GANNET and getting a little work done this morning.  I scrubbed the half of the bottom facing the dock with an extension broom which works quite well, and I filled some gouges and sanded the companionway bulkhead.  This was the first time I’ve used my DeWalt battery operated sander.  I like it.  The temperature now is 86F/30C, but I think the maximum while I was on board was 80F/26.6C.  I have a hand size fan that runs on the ship’s DC which significantly improves cabin comfort.  Relative comfort.  Rain is in our forecast, so progress may be slow.  I have more wood to sand and then to oil it all.  On GANNET I have to move stuff to clear work space and then move it back to clear different space.



I was recently asked to provide some photos of CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE and of GANNET.  Among them are the above two which were taken from the same vantage point on a bridge in San Diego’s Mission Bay thirty-six years apart.  The one of CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE by Suzanne in 1978 shortly before I began the open boat voyage.  The one of GANNET by Steve Earley in 2014 shortly before I began GANNET’s circumnavigation.



In yesterday’s entries in THE ASSASSIN’S CLOAK I came across a joke that causes me to chuckle every time I think of it.  Be warned that it contains a vulgar word, so don’t read on if you are likely to be offended.











No comments: