Thursday, October 7, 2021

Hilton Head Island: 1ºC; peril; four poems

Finally some sunshine this morning after days of cloud and rain.  I biked down to GANNET and reeved the new main halyard and got a coat of oil on the interior wood.  Actually two coats on some areas.  I also tried to fix an intractable leak around where the cockpit compass passes through the companionway bulkhead.  I could see clearly where water had run down over the newly sanded wood.  I have applied sealant to the compass many times before and applied some more. But I am beginning to consider removing it and sealing the hole with a piece of plastic.  I seldom use it.  I have the Velocitek and both my phone and my Apple watch have accurate compasses.  I am giving it warning.

On the rainy days I did housework.  In fact I did all the housework and had none left to do after mopping and polishing the hardwood floors.

I also watched some sports on television and a Netflix documentary about climate change titled BREAKING BOUNDARIES.  In it I was told that during the Holocene, the current or perhaps just ended geological epoch, the temperature of the planet has been constant, varying by only one degree centigrade.  For my American friends that is 1.8ºF.  If the Holocene has ended it is because we have ended it, increasing the planet’s temperature more than that since the start of the Industrial Revolution.


I also read a book, PERIL, by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, about the end of the Trump presidency and the beginning of Biden’s.  I don’t read much about current politics—it is too depressing—but saw in Apple News an interview with Woodward and Costa that interested me.  I am not going to make a comment on the book other than that if there is a good guy in it, he is not a politician, but a soldier.



In STAYING ALIVE, the anthology of modern Western poetry a few pages of which I read each afternoon, I am in a section about death and dying.  Here are four poems on that subject.  Two from the book.  Two by me.

I went to the poetry page of the main site and find there only twenty-four poems left.  

https://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_actual_site/poems.html

I have been paring away for decades.  Of the twenty-four death is mentioned in eight.



The next was written by Ruth Stone.






                                        Iphidamas

                                           no one who has ever read the Iliad

                                           has remembered you

                                           until me

    

                                        raised by a loving family

                                        your father a king

                                        you married

                                        but left for the glorious war

                                        before you had lain with your bride

                                        and in your first combat

                                        Agamemnon killed you


                                        that is all


                                        Homer gave you perhaps twenty lines

                                        blew life into you

                                        marched you into battle

                                        had you slain

                                        meat butchered by heroes


                                        the first time I read the Iliad

                                        even I did not notice you

                                        but the second

                                        during my “honeymoon”

                                        absurd word

                                        in Chicago in 1962

                                        with a woman from whom I am long divorced

                                        your brief life made me wonder

                                        what happened to your virgin bride   

                                        how soon did she forget

                                        and you

                                            did you have time for regret before you died

                                            or was the thrusting sword too quick


                                        you could not know

                                        that Homer would sing of you

                                            however briefly

                                        and that in 3000 years

                                        I at last would be touched by your death


                                        but if you had known

                                        I wonder

                                        if that would have been enough


                                                                    1975








3 comments:

Jim Norman said...

You might try Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure on your compass. It’s thin, like water, so it finds its way into leaks just like water, but dries as a sealant. I used it for several minor drips on my boat as well as my home’s garden window. When I flew to Tortola to help a friend sail his new-to-him boat back to New England I brought a small bottle with me and was able to seal a few drips that appeared once we were offshore.

Webb said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can find it.

Webb said...

I did. On its easy from Amazon, though I may remove the compass completely and start again from scratch.