Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Hilton Head Island: a ring and a prayer

 


I walked out to the end of the dock a few days ago and saw the pile ring above.  I had never seen one before.  This is an excellent idea which enables use of four dock lines instead of three and prevents a boat from rubbing against the dock.  When I got back to the condo I googled and found they are manufactured by a company based in Auckland, New Zealand, and for sale in the U.S.  The inside diameter of this model is 15”.  I measured the piling today.  It is 12” and I placed an order.

https://marinaquip.com/pile-ring/



I do not pray, but if I did, this would be a good one.  The poet is William Butler Yeats.





2 comments:

Canoe Sailor said...

Much fancier and I expect longer lasting solution than the old tire with flotation in it that I've seen used. For a similar reason I've seen a block on the pule and a weight used to good effect.

ZMK said...

Those rings are ubiquitous in NZ Marinas. I had no idea they were not a normal part of marina poles throughout the world. Good 'ole Kiwi ingenuity still alive and well.
Zane