Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Evanston: quiet; the virus; wind; slime




The above comes from Pat in Australia who adds that he hears of those who are ‘killing time’ until the pandemic is over.  Pat notes that to the contrary he is trying to find more time to get everything he wants to do done.

Under Great Minds Think Alike, which is not actually true, to be great is to think originally, some of you may recall that not long ago I wrote:  Stillness is unnatural and threatening to many.  Perhaps because they fear that if they have to sit quietly and look within they will find emptiness.

I read Pascal’s PENSEES long ago, but did not remember that quote.  I do remember another of his:  The heart has reasons that reason does not know.



I rarely am bored, but I have become bored with this virus and particularly with the public obsession with it.  I doubt I am the only one and this is going to be with us a long time.  Henceforth I will endeavor to write about it as seldom as possible.  There is more to life.  

As you know I do not watch television news or engage in social media.  I do skim the NY TIMES and BBC News and read an occasional piece.  Here is a link to a piece about the real numbers of Covid 19 deaths in each state:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

And here a link that Steve Earley brought to my attention to a rare amusing and probably accurate piece about the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/opinion/dave-eggers-coronavirus-questions.html?searchResultPosition=1




Each morning I spin the Earth Wind Map to see where the highest wind is.

Today it is 52 knots south of Australia about where on EGREGIOUS forty-four years ago I was in the strongest wind I have ever experienced.  Well beyond the 75-80 knots I was in a few weeks later in Cyclone Colin in the Tasman.  Blowing for an hour or two perhaps twice as hard as it is there now.







Airlines are a necessary evil.  Like politicians, all are bad, but many are worse.  Frontier Airlines has just announced that it is going to charge passengers for social distancing.

https://fortune.com/2020/05/05/frontier-airline-social-distance-fee-seat/

This is major slime, particularly since the airlines are being bailed out with tens of billions of dollars after many spent tens of billions of dollars in the past few years buying back their own stock rather than keep cash on hand for an emergency as all individuals are advised to do.  I don’t recall that I have ever flown Frontier Airlines.  Though other airlines may follow suit, I will endeavor not to fly Frontier in the future.

No comments: