Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Evanston: an apology; underway in the South Pacific; in charge



I thank Roger, who first brought to my attention that the story of the JATO powered car is not true, and an anonymous reader who left a comment to that effect.  Roger also provided this link:

I had gone to the Darwin Awards site and not finding the story assumed that it was from a distant previous year.  Here is a link to the Darwin’s Award site.


Another anonymous reader commented ‘Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.’  As I responded I do not agree.  I like good stories, but they should be labeled as such and not masquerade as truth.  There is far more than enough falsehood on the Internet, unintentional and intentional.  I deeply regret having contributed in circulating a little more and I apologize.  I dislike exaggeration and have always preferred understatement to hyperbole even though hyperbole has become the norm.  I will be more careful in the future.



Above is a screen shot taken this morning of the Marine Traffic site.


Pleasure craft are purple and you will note that there are not many.  Of course not all pleasure craft carry an identifying transponder, GANNET among them.

There are still a few boats at sea between Panama and the Marquesas.  A modest stream is sailing from the Marquesas to Papeete, Tahiti, located near the center of the screen.  One all alone on the lower right hand side may be at or near Easter Island.  In the upper left are several in the vicinity of Guam.  A boat near Sydney, Australia, might be heading toward Lord Howe Island, and another north in the Coral Sea seems to be sailing for Townsville or Cairns.  I wonder what its welcome will be.




After I posted last week, ‘Sometimes I doubt I am really in charge’, a friend asked, “Then who is?”  As far as I can tell, a chance concatenation of recessive genes.














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMHO:
TRADE YOUR EXPECTATIONS FOR APPRECIATION, & a better positive mindset. ~ It works!

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.” —Arthur Schopenhauer.
WEBB OFTEN DOES BOTH ABOVE. ( Proving Webb has far & away superior insights & awareness, for sure. )
~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~_/)_/)~~~>>

"But to every mind there openeth,
A way, and way, and away,
A high soul climbs the highway,
And the low soul gropes the low,
And in between on the misty flats,
The rest drift to and fro.

But to every man there openeth,
A high way and a low,
And every mind decideth,
The way his soul shall go.

One ship sails East,
And another West,
By the self-same winds that blow,
'Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales,
That tells the way we go.

Like the winds of the sea
Are the waves of time,
As we journey along through life,
'Tis the set of the soul,
That determines the goal,
And not the calm or the strife."

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Kelvin D. Meeks said...

Webb,

I deeply appreciate your writing, your humanity, and your humor.

Your apology immediately brought to my this favorite quote from one of the Star Trek movies:

James T. Kirk: "Mr. Spock, have you accounted for the variable mass of whales and water in your time re-entry program?"

Spock: "Mr. Scott cannot give me exact figures, Admiral, so... I will make a guess."

James T. Kirk: "A guess? You, Spock? That's extraordinary."

Spock: [to McCoy] "I don't think he understands."

Leonard McCoy: "No, Spock. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts."

Spock: "Then you're saying... it is a compliment?"

Leonard McCoy: "It is."

The world is a brighter place, for some of us, because you are still here.

Webb said...

The Star Trek quote brings a smile. Thanks.