Monday, April 20, 2020

Evanston: a Sunday drive; three emails; aerosol Earth; last dance; deported



Yesterday spring came to the prairie with sunshine and a temperature around 60ºF/ 15.5ºC,   and Carol took us for a Sunday drive.  We went north through some of the richest suburbs in the country.  Two, Glencoe and Winnetka, are eighth and ninth on Bloomberg’s list of the richest places in the U.S., both with average annual family incomes of more than $350,000.  

Sheridan Road, which we followed, twists and turns, passes Northwestern’s Campus, and is often just a block from the lakefront.  Not all the homes are mansions, but some are.  Few are new.  The money has been there for a while.

There were a lot of people out.  Walking, running, biking.  Less than half were wearing face masks and all were maintaining social distance or seemingly trying to.  I expect that there were at least as many as if there were no stay at home order, which does permit outside exercise.  Perhaps even more.

Of face masks, I am ambivalent.  Carol has made us some and we ordered some that may be delivered in a week.  I have never liked wearing masks, though I have done so while doing boat work, such as removing the old antifouling from GANNET.  They make breathing difficult and fog up my eyeglasses.

While it was pleasant to get out and see something slightly different, I look forward to when I can see something completely different:  the ocean.



I received three emails over the weekend with lines of interest, at least to me.

From Paul came a link to a Sailing Anarchy forum topic about a sailor who is building a 45’ proa.  

My boat is an art project/pocket cruiser for near shore tripping.   Once they get dialed into the idea that I want to learn some new skills, pace the project around my other interests and NOT pull a Webb Chiles and go hard and deep off shore - we all relax and chuckle about this/that.   

I am amused and pleased that my name has become an action.



From Michael came:  And if you think you will be content to potter in the creeks like a normal retiree you are delusional.  Not a good thing to be at your advanced age. 


And from another whom I do not name:  You have outlived your social usefulness.  Report immediately to the nearest termination center.

A bit harsh, but perhaps it is meant in the same spirit as my ‘Geezer Guru’ and not to be taken seriously.  

I replied that I am willing to do so, but don’t know where the nearest termination center is and I won’t stand in line.



The above beautiful image is from NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day site.

The explanation:   It was just another day on aerosol Earth. For August 23, 2018, the identification and distribution of aerosols in the Earth's atmosphere is shown in this dramatic, planet-wide digital visualization. Produced in real time, the Goddard Earth Observing System Forward Processing (GEOS FP) model relies on a combination of Earth-observing satellite and ground-based data to calculate the presence of types of aerosols, tiny solid particles and liquid droplets, as they circulate above the entire planet. This August 23rd model shows black carbon particles in red from combustion processes, like smoke from the fires in the United States and Canada, spreading across large stretches of North America and Africa. Sea salt aerosols are in blue, swirling above threatening typhoons near South Korea and Japan, and the hurricane looming near Hawaii. Dust shown in purple hues is blowing over African and Asian deserts. The location of cities and towns can be found from the concentrations of lights based on satellite image data of the Earth at night.




Last evening ESPN began showing THE LAST DANCE, about the Michael Jordan Chicago Bull’s 1997-98 season in which they sought their sixth championship.  I watched the first episode and recommend it.  Beyond sports, it is about the pursuit of perhaps unparalleled excellence.



From Carlos comes the following.  I thank him.

if this journal suddenly comes to an end, I may not be dead, but deported.  With my vision I am an easy catch.  They need only come up on my right side and the net will be over me before I know they are there.







No comments: