Friday, April 3, 2020

Evanston: more numbers; a myth; a brag; James Taylor and Yo-Yo Ma


I thank Craig for the above.  The numbers are from New York City.  I do not know the date. Make of it what you will.



Google, to some extent pressured by the EU to provide more information about the spread of Covid 19, is publishing changes in mobility by nation and in the US by state.




“We are all in this together” is all over television and other media.  It is a myth.  In reality we are all in this competitively, like economy passengers scrambling for bag space in overhead bins on airplanes.  The proof is in lack of face masks, sterile wipes, latex gloves, the infamous toilet paper, and even oatmeal.  It has taken a pandemic, but more and more are becoming like me.  Or trying to.  Oatmeal has never before been in short supply.  I have been able to restock almost anywhere in the world.  Not now.  I conclude that someone somewhere online has advised previously non-oatmeal eaters to stock up.   I have enough oatmeal for a few more weeks.  I may start reducing my usual ½ cup to ⅓.



The German philosopher, Immanuel Kant wrote “ought implies can.”  That means that it is useless to say someone ought to act in a certain way if it is not possible for him to do so.

I read that the US government is going to advise that everyone wear face masks in public.  When there are no face masks available this is worthless.



An odd consequence of the pandemic is that San Diego’s Mission Bay is closed.

I heard from my marina neighbor, Kevin, that the marina is closed, but it is still possible to get to his boat.  As I believe I have mentioned before, the boat yard with the marina toilets and showers is closed and inaccessible.

But Kevin also said that anyone venturing out on the water is being forced to return to their slip by the Life Guards.  Where better to socially isolate than on the water?  Carol suggests that perhaps they want to keep outsiders out.



This is unabashed bragging.  

While doing my workout on Monday I tweaked something in my damaged left shoulder.  Nothing serious, but subsequently there were occasional twinges of pain.  I wondered if I would be able to do my weight workout on Tuesday.  I was.  And then Wednesday, bad shoulder be damned, in the first set of push-ups of my workout I went to 100 for the second time this year.

As I have mentioned I did want to get to 100 once this year and unexpectedly did so in January. My fear is that I am going to decide that I should now do so at least once a month.



If you viewed yesterday’s entry early, be advised that I later changed the last word from ‘happy’ to ‘calm’.


James Taylor and Yo-Yo Ma.  A very pleasant way to spend eight minutes.  How could 109 people give this a thumbs-down?






No comments: