Saturday, December 28, 2019

Evanston: a serendipitous meeting; two quotes; two movies; and a big wave


Tom, who Baby, the sea beagle,  permits to steer her boats, is in Ireland and sent me the above seen on the wall of the Temple Bar in Dublin.

Here is the author.





I have never been to Ireland.  Obviously I should go.



I count at least three Welsford Parthfinder builders/sailors as friends:  Tom and FIRST LIGHT; Steve and SPARTINA; and Rik and VANESSA.  I know Tom and Steve personally: Rik who lives on Aruba by email.

Yesterday Rik who is visiting Key West and reads Michael’s Key West Diary was walking trough town and recognized Michael’s faithful companion, Rusty, from photos Michael has run and then Michael himself.  Michael wisely runs far more Rusty photos than Michael photos.  I smile as I write about the chance serendipitous meeting of two of my friends in a distant town.






From a NY TIMES review of 1917, a movie I want to see, comes this quote from Albert Camus:

“A man’s work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, though the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened.”



A few nights ago Carol and I rented ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD from iTunes and found it enjoyable, unusual and original.  Leonardo DiCaprio’s acting is outstanding.  Brad Pitt is good, but has a less demanding role.

The next night we went to see LITTLE WOMEN.  I have seen reviews that say the movie is not just for women.  I disagree.  I also saw an article this morning that says men are being sexist when they are not interested in the film.  I disagree again.  And Carol shares that opinion.   I have never read the novel.  Carol did in school where it was required.

The film is well acted, well filmed and well directed.  I am aware that women still do not earn equal pay for equal work, which is absurd, but the idea that women can be intelligent, independent and creative is hardly news.  I think LITTLE WOMEN is not just for women, but for women who are far behind the times.