Saturday, June 29, 2019

San Diego: bike rack; even better; unexpected






        This marina now has a regulation prohibiting bicycles being kept on the dock and have eliminated the bike rack that used to be near the entrance ramp.  I don’t know why, but I am very glad to be here and am willing to live with the rules.
        I Ubered to a bike shop in nearby Pacific Beach today and bought my transportation, a used bike in seemingly excellent condition.  I rode it back along what is called the Board Walk along Mission Beach, but is concrete.  It was very crowded with the addition of electric scooters to the older mix of skate boarders, bicycles and walkers.
        Along the way I passed the site of my grandparents’ home, filled with memories of a teenaged Webb Chiles who no longer exists.
        On my return I locked the bike to a light pole in the parking lot because I wanted to scrub GANNET’s deck, which I did.  This was her first wash in 5,000 miles and she looks better for it.  
        I later moved the bike to GANNET, who has in addition to being the only Moore 24 to circumnavigate become the only Moore 24 to be a bike rack.  Obviously I will have to leave the bike locked in the parking lot when I go sailing.  If I am gone overnight, it might not be there on my return.  I have suffered greater losses.

        You may have noticed that GANNET in the above photos is not where she was yesterday.
        This morning I went up to the marina office and asked Lindsey what type and size of boat was in the space in front of me, which was vacant when I walked down to check it out on Wednesday and when I docked yesterday.  She told me the space is empty and I could move forward if I wanted to.  Indeed I did.  This is even better.  It is the best possible place for me in the marina.  A view that can not be obstructed.  More exposure to the prevailing wind.  I could easily sail out, though less easily sail in.  Excellent.

        Although I am not aware she has any damage, the little boat needs a lot of cosmetic repair.  I am quite happy to do that, but unexpectedly I have found a sense of peace and ease.  I don’t actually have to do anything.  I have done enough.  If I time and chance do not end me, I expect I will do more.  More words.  More voyages.  But that does not matter.  I have proven Webb Chiles to Webb Chiles.  I am at peace as I never have been before.