Sunday, January 13, 2019

Skull Creek: close

        I drank orange juice this morning, then applied a second coat of Deks Olje to the interior wood, went on deck and scrubbed the Raptor non-skid pads, and took my sleeping bag and pillow case to the condo to wash along with dirty clothes I had already left there.
       We have a Keurig coffee maker at the evil condo, so I had coffee and a bran muffin that I bought yesterday at the supermarket.  One of the few days my breakfast was not uncooked oatmeal, which by the way a recent study shows is very good for you in many ways.  High fiber is not consistent with fad low carb diets and far healthier.
        I did laundry while watching the Patriots/Chargers game and came back to GANNET just before sunset.
        Her cabin is still a mess but it won’t be by this time tomorrow.  I go to passage mode and order will be imposed. I truly hate clutter. I take pleasure in throwing things out, and one of my regrets about the condo debacle is that I wasn’t able to empty GANNET last year and store a lot of stuff on shore.  
       


        I do not know what day I will leave, but a few minutes ago I sent the following to Sailing Anarchy, Cruising World, and Latitude 38,  who have asked that I keep them informed.
       I also sent them these three photos:  two of me taken last year that I could not decide between  and one of GANNET in her slip here at Skull Creek Marina.
       I did this out of courtesy.  I do not seek approval of others. 
        
Webb Chiles, 77, is about to sail from Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, for Panama and San Diego, in GANNET, his ultralight Moore 24, to complete his sixth circumnavigation and her first.  Since leaving San Diego in 2014, GANNET’s daily runs total 25,028 miles.

Their intended course to Panama is east of the Bahamas and through the Windward Passage between Cuba and Haiti.

Webb Chiles has never had sponsorship or shore teams.  He goes to sea with no radio beyond a handheld VHF with a range of less than ten miles.  He has contempt for crowd funding of other people’s dreams.  Decades ago he found freedom by choosing to be independently poor.  The key word is ‘independent’.

He and GANNET will depart when he sees a GRIB he likes, but no earlier than Wednesday, January 16.  Once at sea he cuts ties to the land completely and receives no outside weather information.  He studies the sky, the sea, and the barometer, looking for signs of change.

He hopes to reach San Diego in time to be with Carol, his wife, on her birthday in late April.

If you want to follow, GANNET’s Yellowbrick tracking page is:  https://my.yb.tl/gannet

His website is:  www.inthepresentsea,com

His online journal: 

self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com