Thursday, January 24, 2019

Skull Creek: a rough night; thanks

        In my desire to move GANNET from her slip which might be difficult to exit tomorrow morning if the wind is from the northwest as forecast, I made a very serious mistake.  I knew that south wind with the approaching front would be on GANNET’s beam and push her toward A Dock, but it was much worse than I expected.
        I retired to the pipe berth at 10 PM and slept until midnight and that was it until I dozed off for perhaps an hour at 7 this morning, sitting in my foul weather gear on the port pipe berth.
        Countless times in between fenders were pushed up or down by waves and GANNET’s motion, resulting in the boat’s beam hitting the dock with sickening jolts, so I had to go out and reposition the four fenders, one which vanished during the night.
        Both Fred, the dock master, and I saw on our wind instruments maximum wind gusts of 36 knots, at the low end of gale strength.
        No damage was done, but ten or more feet of the white paint on the starboard rub rail is gone exposing red plastic as it was when I bought the little boat.  Rub rail rubbed.
        The rain, sometimes heavy, came to an end at 9 AM, and the sky has partially cleared. I hope the wind veers west and then northwest as forecast.
        GANNET’s cabin is wet and we haven’t even started the passage.  So were my clothes, which I have brought up to the condo to dry in the dryer.
        I did not get to a supermarket or liquor store yesterday, nor will I today.  I will make due with what is already on board.
        LuckGrib and other weather sources still are consistent with our departure tomorrow.
        The Yellowbrick is presently deactivated. I will activate it tonight and if I remember tomorrow morning set it to upload positions every hour until I get clear of the land, when positions will be uploaded every six hours as in the past.
        GANNET's Yellowbrick tracking page is:


        This morning Fred brought a case of Heineken to GANNET which had  been delivered to the office by an Uber driver who told Fred only that it was a gift from a friend in Chicago.  I like to believe I have more than one friend in Chicago, so I thank whichever of you sent the beer.  It is appreciated.
        I also thank all of you who have sent me good wishes for the coming passage.
        I think it will take about twelve or fourteen days, depending on the wind.  Too much and too little will slow us.


        Michael sent me the above photo yesterday.  I seem to be a cheerful old man and now that my clothes are dry, I am.
        I put a new main halyard on GANNET last year, so I conclude Michael took the photo while we were at Marathon.

        I hope the next entry will be sent in a couple of weeks from Panama.
        Be joyful.