Friday, September 6, 2024

Hilton Head Island: in the Great Cabin; a new meal; a mistake

I walked down to GANNET yesterday and spent the day and night on board.  Not sailing, only at the dock.  We have had some rain and more is forecast, and there is a small craft advisory which seems to have been in effect forever, though as usual we do not have that much wind on this side of the island.

I was able to be on board in relative comfort because our temperatures are running almost ten degrees below normal.  The dangerous heat, which I consider ‘feels like’ over 100F, generally ends in September, but not this early.  It may return, but the ten day forecast shows highs in the low 80sF and lows in the low 70s. Yesterday the Great Cabin was 81F with the hatches open and a moderate breeze blowing though, not the 100 it was a week earlier.  I didn’t even need to use my new fan.

I scrubbed away some mold, read, listened to music, found a place to stow the fan, sipped some wine, tested the deck running lights, and watched the first half of the Chiefs/Ravens football game.  Rain in the evening caused me to close the hatches, but it passed and I was later able to open the forward one partially and slept well.  

I enjoyed being on board and at Central again.

For dinner I had a new to me freeze dry meal from Trailtopia, a company I learned of from Steve Earley for which I thank him.  I bought eight or so of their single serving meals.  This, Beer Braised Chicken Stew, was the first I had eaten.  Although I did not taste any beer, it was very good and tasted ‘more real’ than some freeze dry food, and I will include it in future provisioning.  

My only criticism is that their pouches are smaller than other brands and pouring boiling water into them with GANNET underway would be hazardous, so I will prepare them in the big plastic measuring cup I eat from.

https://www.trailtopia.com/one-serving


When I suggested in the last entry that the intent of the first several of Shakespeare’s sonnets was to seduce a woman I was wrong. 

I vaguely remember from a college Shakespeare class more than sixty years ago that some of the sonnets were written to a man.  That becomes clear with the use of the masculine pronoun in Sonnet 19 if not before.

I googled and learned that of the 154 sonnets, the first 126 are addressed to a man.  The last 28 to or about a woman.  Some scholars find interest in what seems to me the pointless pursuit of arguing about who the young man and woman might have been and in speculating about Will’s sexuality five hundred years later.

Presumably I was guilty of attributing to Will what would have been my own motivations.

Although as I think about it, I never tried to seduce a woman.  I did make overtures, but usually the woman let me know she wanted me to.

No seduction.  A mutual coming together.



No comments: