Thursday, June 20, 2024

Hilton Head Island: waxed

As is to be expected the marsh is getting seriously hot.  Outside activity during the day must be planned.  Heat indexes must be considered.   Other signs of the change of season are that each morning I again check the National Hurricane Center site and download GRIBs.  But the past two days have been pleasant with highs only in the low 80sF and a cooling breeze strong enough to cause Small Craft Advisories for near coastal waters, though no more than ten or twelve knots on Skull Creek.

So this morning I biked to GANNET at 9 AM intending to wax as much of the starboard side of her hull as my body and the heat permitted.  Both cooperated and I waxed the entire side.  Another of the many virtues of small boats.  GANNET has only 2’/.6 meter of freeboard so there is not a lot of area to wax.

Here is what I use:


It is a very good product.  There may be better, but I wanted to buy another quart and found no one had quarts in stock so I bought a gallon which is a lifetime supply for me and would be even if I were considerably younger.

I apply it with a plastic scrubbing pad and remove it with paper towels.  I have a buffing attachment for my drill but do not like using it with the boat in the water.

GANNET’s hull is far from perfect, but when I left to go home I walked around to the next dock and looked back and she passes the viewed from a boat length away test.  She has battle scars.  They are honorable.  She has been in battles.

4 comments:

Clark said...

"Battle scars..." Yes, we imagine that GANNETT has a well earned patina. Our boats each have their own patina stories, we figure that they are identifying marks that set them apart from the rest of the crowd.

And we all should be so lucky as to pas the boat length away test :)

Cheers,
Kent and Audrey

Anonymous said...

Agreed about earned petina! Not sure my boat would pass the boat length test either!
Rich

Anonymous said...




GANNET, HAS proven to be a flyer.

Webb said...

As I have today learned, Ron Moore’s wife, Martha, has recently died and he is in a hospital.

He was a most honorable boat builder as I have proven, circumnavigating in a boat intended to race around harbor buoys.

Given time I will push one of his boats even farther.

I am alive today because Ron Moore was honorable

He has my ultimate respect.