Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Hilton Head Island: HENNING;; GANNET; the hard road

 


Above is HENNING, a 10’ Bahamian dinghy a year or two older than I.  She is the latest addition to Kent and Audrey’s ever expanding Armada.  At least I think she is the latest addition.  It is hard to keep up.

Kent and Audrey have diligently removed her aged paint and fiberglass sheathing and wanted to see how the wood would swell, so they launched her in the kiddie pool.






I thank them for permission to share the photos and  look forward to seeing HENNING under sail on longer voyages.

You can follow further at:

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/



I have been down to GANNET several times since our return to the marsh.  I found her in good condition.  Not even any bird droppings on the deck, although there was water on the port pipe berth.  I have noted this before and hope it is coming in around the closed companionway during rain storms, but cannot be certain.

The little boat needs some cosmetic work and anti-fouling.  I have delayed the latter by paying a diver to clean the bottom from time to time.

We are still settling in after this final move to the condo and taking up sequentially the many tasks of establishing ourselves as permanent South Carolinians.  Carol is proving that retiring is hard work.  So I’m not going to.  

Thus far the bamboo plant is doing well.



From 300 TANG POEMS:









No comments: