Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Hilton Head Island: people are hazardous to your health

I am usually not much around people, but last Friday I flew to Charlotte and returned Sunday and so was around a lot of people on planes and in airports.  Yesterday morning I woke with a moderately sore throat and a cough and was tired all day.  I didn’t even consider doing my scheduled workout.  So I took a COVID test and it is definitely positive.  I am of course fully vaccinated.  Thus far I don’t feel very ill, not even as much as a routine head cold.  No aches.  No pains.  No fever.  However I am usually outrageously healthy.  I don’t recall the last time I was ill.  Years ago.  And I don’t like it.

I have cancelled two routine medical and dental appointments scheduled later this week.

I had been planning on going sailing next week weather permitting and have just had a diver clean GANNET’s bottom.  I didn’t know where.  Maybe out to sea.  Maybe up to Charleston.  Maybe both.  Now that seems unlikely to happen.

In the more immediate future a strong front is approaching and we have a gale warning and a tornado watch for this afternoon.  The wind is already gusting 28 knots at the airport three miles away and is forecast to go above 40 knots later.

I look out on gray and green.  Complete low misty overcast.  Intermittent rain.  Spanish moss and live oaks dancing wildly.



2 comments:

Jim G San Diego said...

Sorry for your COVID+. My wife and I were COVID+ New Year's Eve. Vac & masks. I likely caught it at the CA DMV which is a zoo of 200-300 people milling around in a closed building, hanging out in lines on the sidewalks too. In CA you are forced every 5 years starting at 70 to take written test (only state), eye test, thumb print and picture. Many elderly fail the written test. I passed age 85 renewal. Our Dr's put us on PAXLOVID and is working well. Many people and some Dr's will not prescribe that med.

Rich Pereira said...

Sorry to hear about the infectious people! Hope you feel better soon and that you get to go sailing! The weather is frightful here in FL too. Just had a couple of tornado warnings, but no damage so far! It’s a crazy long storm, stay safe!