Friday, July 24, 2015

Evanston: the wit and wisdom of webb chiles



        This will be a short entry.
        But not as short as the books published of the wit and wisdom of certain past Presidents that consisted entirely of blank pages.
        There is no doubt that of all I have written, the ten words appearing on the official America’s Cup site yesterday are best known.  It is not a site I visit.  I thank Matt for sending me the above screen shot.  I expect that in time they will be all that is left of my life.
        Second best known is the other line on the home page of this site.

        Live passionately, even if it kills you, because something is going to kill you anyway.

        (I had to check to be sure I had it right.)

        To which I might add:

        A military genius is a general of average intelligence whose opponent is retarded.

        The self-righteous are always willing that others suffer for their beliefs.
        Debts are chains.

        The artist’s defining responsibility is to go to the edge of human experience and send back reports.

        Life is the process of turning baby smooth skin into scar tissue.

        Those of us who go to sea, deliberately leaving society behind, have no right to expect that society to come and rescue us from trouble of our own making.

        There is enough sorrow in life, some inevitable and much unnecessarily man made.  I would rather be on the side of joy and laughter.

        Go out, going forward.

        I told you it would be short.

        If I’ve forgotten anything, let me know.