Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Lake Forest: walked; log definition; helicopters again; nearing the end


 

While I have been working out dutifully for more than a week, the cold has been keeping me mostly inside and too sedentary.  This morning temperatures rose as predicted to 46F/7.7C, so I took advantage of the heat wave and walked the 1.25 miles to the lake and back.  The photo above is proof.  Also that I am not in Hilton Head.  You may have noticed the absence of Spanish Moss.  I enjoyed the walk.  It was a good thing to do.  Two and a half miles isn’t much, but due to the virus my last weeks in Hilton Head and the frigid cold here, much farther than I have walked in a month.  Unfortunately it is not likely soon to be repeated.  A front is due this afternoon with rain turning to sleet and snow, accompanied by plunging temperatures.



Kent, of Audrey’s Armada fame, continues to educate me.

He came across this definition of ship’s log.  As a keeper and sometimes publisher of ship’s logs I am grateful to know what I should include.



He also introduced me to yak shaving for which I also thank him.

http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/2022/02/yak-shaving-and-nutshell-pram-middle.html



I have nothing against helicopters.  I even rode in one once.  But from Bill, a sometimes glider pilot in England, comes a line too good not to share.

He writes that a pilot friend of his told him helicopters can’t really fly, they are just so ugly the earth repels them.



From today’s entries in THE ASSASSIN’S CLOAK from 1915:


I find myself wondering what part their disappointment at finding when they reached the South Pole that Amundsen had been there before them played in their deaths.  Had they been first would their will to live have been stronger enough to have made the difference? 

1 comment:

Conchscooter said...

They took it very badly not being first. Had they lived they’d hardly be remembered. But living is actually quite nice I find.