Thursday, April 20, 2017

St. Lucia: a busy day

I got a lot done today:  I cleaned mold in the Great Cabin; scraped a few goose neck barnacles from the hull just above the waterline—the antifouling paint kept them off below; glued velcro that holds the screens back in place where it had come adrift; cleaned the bilge; had the laundry done by a very efficient and energetic woman and young man who run the service here at the marina; bought shackles and a new Windex at the chandlery; arranged for a rigger to come tomorrow to put the Windex in place, hopefully to last longer than the last one; and, not least, rearranged the cabin so there is room for Carol to sleep on the v-berth.  I was concerned that she might find sleeping on deck uncomfortable if it rains at night.
I also fitted the Torqeedo on the stern and ran it after charging the battery for several hours yesterday.  When I started to charge it, it read 100%.  It read 100% when I stopped.  It started up as it should and ran for a few minutes without showing any drop from 100% before I turned it off.  GANNET is in a downwind slip which would be difficult to sail out of.  If I were on the other side of the dock, it would be easy, but those are 50’ slips.  All I need is for the motor to run for one minute to get me clear of the slip.  If it ran for three or four and got me clear of this finger, that would be even better, but not essential.  I will charge it some more before I leave.  I do not know what to think.  Possibly there is nothing wrong with the battery except the charge reading.  Anyway I hope and even think I can get out of here without a tow.
On Wednesday I dined on a mahi-mahi salad and two cold beers.  Last night I had a good pepperoni pizza and an even better glass of chianti.  I brought three pieces of pizza back to GANNET with me and ate them for lunch.  That filled me and tonight I will have only yoghurt with trail mix, accompanied by air temperature Absolut Citron and tonic.  I don’t usually drink vodka, which I once read is legally defined as being colorless, odorless and tasteless.  But Citron sounds refreshing and one must adapt to available resources.
I neglected to mention in yesterday’s entry that several weeks ago my JetBoil failed because the gas canister connection threads stripped.  The connection is aluminum.  Threading on a canister on land is easy.  Sometimes on a lively boat it isn’t.  In any event, I couldn’t use the stove.  Carol is bringing a new one out to me.  I had a back up stove of a different make but hadn’t looked at it for years.  It was corroded and unusable, too, so for quite some time I have been drinking air temperature instant coffee and eating uncooked freeze dry food soaked in air temperature water.  I’ve done this before.  Some is better than others.  Some that is good heated is terrible unheated.
I have gone through the passage log once.  I will try to do so a second time tonight or tomorrow and upload it tomorrow. 
The photo was taken by Ellis on the morning this all began three years and 22,000 miles ago.  GANNET is about two boats lengths from her slip.  Ellis just sent it to me again as a reminder.  I thank him for permission to share it with you and wish him success in fulfilling his own sailing plans.