Monday, January 23, 2017

Durban: transformed

        A sunny, hot day.
        I made an early start, drank only one cup of coffee and finished painting GANNET’s deck by 9:30.  I did not take before and after photos, but the little boat is transformed since my arrival.  
        I am moving through another transition:  from boat work, though some is still to be done, to provisioning. 
        Today, after painting, I Ubered to the chandlery and then a shopping center.   When I leave there I take a taxi because they are right outside.  
        I asked my driver how long he had been waiting for a fare.  He said since 7:00 a.m.  He picked me up at 1:45 p.m.   The fare from the shopping center to the marina is about $5.00 US and I don’t know that he received it all.  He might not have owned the taxi, and if he did he had to pay for fuel and maintenance.  
         Sitting for half a day to make maybe five dollars.
         He praised me to his God when I gave him a dollar tip.