Friday, July 10, 2020

Evanston: books read; correction; inconclusive; living to 110





January 2020


THE FALCON AND THE SNOWMAN.  Robert Lindsey

RED CAVALRY.  Isaac Babel

OVERTHROW  Stephen Kinzer

BEOWULF. translated by Frederick Rebsamen

THE SEA WOLVES.  Lars Brownworth

ORIENT EXPRESS   Graham Greene

THE CHARTERHOUSE OF PARMA   Stendhal

MUNICH   Robert Harris

ROAD OF BONES   Fergal Keane

THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA.  Robert Crichton

THE FALCON THIEF.  Joshua Hammer

UNBROKEN.  Laura Hillenbrand

TWENTY-ONE STORIES.  Graham Greene

TIME AND TIDE   Thomas Fleming

SAILING TO FREEDOM.  Voldemar Veedam

SWORD OF HONOR TRILOGY  Evelyn Waugh

A LONG PETAL OF THE SEA.  Isabel Allende

THEY WERE EXPENDABLE.  W.L. White

THE MAYOR OF CASTERBRIDGE.  Thomas Hardy

GERMINAL.  Emile Zola

THE RESCUE.  Joseph Conrad

INDIANS OF THE PLAINS.  Eugene Rachlis

` THE SPLENDID AND THE VILE.  Erik Larson

PALE HORSE, PALE RIDER.  Katherine Anne Porter

COVENTRY   Helen Humphreys

SPAIN IN THEIR HEARTS.  Adam Hochschild

THE FROZEN THAMES.  Helen Humphreys

AN IMAGINARY LIFE   David Malouf

ISACC’S STORM   Erik Larson

THE MAP AND THE TERRITORY   Michel  Houellebecq

NORWEGIAN BY NIGHT   Derek Miller

GLORIOUS MISADVENTURES.  Owen Matthews




Jay has gently corrected my description of the photo taken by his son Jimmy that I posted on Tuesday.  It is of the moon rising, not the sun setting, with color provided by Sahara dust, which had left Hilton Head before we arrived there.




You may have noticed that Shawn suggested in a post comment a few weeks ago that shaving cream might help prevent eyeglasses fogging when wearing a face mask.  I remembered to try this before we left on our flight to Savannah.  The results were inconclusive.  It may have helped for the first half hour or so, but not beyond that.  I can read without my glasses and removed them once we were seated on the plane.





Google Arts and Culture ran a feature on the Japanese woodcut master Hokusai, perhaps best known for The Great Wave off Kanazawa shown above.  I was amused to learn that he planned to live to be 110 when he was convinced he would do his best work.  


From Google:


He fully embraced old age and had big plans for each milestone.  “When I am 80 you will see real progress,” he said.  “At 90 I will have cut my way deeply into the mystery of life itself.  At 100 I shall be a marvelous artist.  At 110, everything I create:  a dot, a line, will jump to life as never before.  To all of you who are going to live as long as I do, I promise to keep my word.  I am writing this in my old age.”


Unfortunately he didn’t see 110 and passed away aged 88. On his deathbed, he apparently said, “If only Heaven will give me just another ten years...Just another five more years, then I could become a real painter.”








No comments: