Thursday, February 27, 2014

San Diego: rain; train; unbricking; flat clam

        Our first storm wasn’t much.  Light rain last night persisting into morning.  But it was enough to establish that I still have a leak at the aft edge of the forward hatch.  This is particularly frustrating because GANNET has no headliner.  Everything is exposed.  And, as far as I can see, which admittedly is not one of my strengths, everything is covered with sealant.  There is one seam in the hatch rim which is in the vicinity of the leak.  I just ran a bead of sealant over it.
        The sky cleared for a while and the hatches are open, but clouds and wind have returned and I’m about to close them.   Atypically halyards are clanging on several fortunately distant masts.
        Rain is forecast to begin again tonight and continue all day tomorrow and into Saturday.  
        With gusts to 36 knots, for the first time since GANNET has been here San Diego will likely be the windiest location among my Windfinder favorites, which include Cape Horn and the Falkland Islands.
        Water spouts are even possible and waves Saturday may reach 14’, not all that high, but practically unheard of here.

        I don’t recall if I have mentioned in this journal that I’ve been considering taking the train when I return in May.  I like trains and want to feel the distance as one doesn’t when flying, again see parts of the country I haven’t for a while, and perhaps contemplate the fifty-one years since I started driving west the day after I graduated from college.
        Last night I made up my mind and bought tickets online.  Carol is coming with me.  For the journey, not to see me off.  No one is doing that.  I’m just going to push GANNET away from A dock whatever morning in May I am ready.  
        We depart Chicago on May 3 and arrive in San Diego on May 5, changing trains in Los Angeles.


        I made the bluetooth link to the Yellowbrick yesterday with my iPad mini and sent and received an email each way.  They took about five minutes to appear.  
        I only had bluetooth on for fifteen minutes.  That may have used 1% of battery life.  At present, having been in operation for twenty days, the battery is at 93%.
        During bright midday sunlight I found it difficult to read the Yellowbrick’s display, so I removed it from its mount and took it below, something I would not do at sea.  However when I checked later in the afternoon, the display was easy to read.  If I do send emails, I will simply have to choose my time.
        I am going to put the Yellowbrick to sleep soon.  This is called “Deactivate.”  So if you don’t see new positions, DO NOT CALL THE COAST GUARD!


        As I have mentioned here before, I have never been good at proof reading my writing.  My mind sees what it expects not what the eye actually observes.
        As an aside, it is interesting that we use the singular—which in my case is accurate:  the mind’s eye; I’ve got my eye on you.  Why not the mind’s eyes?
        I do spell check these entries and read over them before and after they go online, but mistakes slip past me.  Sometimes these are amusing.  An extra smile for the already low admission price.  I am always grateful when one of you brings them to my attention, as Jay did yesterday, for which I thank him. 
        I did not push GANNET out of her slip into a flat clam, though it is an interesting image.