Thursday, September 17, 2026

Hilton Head Island: on the screened porch

Almost 8 PM.  Carol has flown to Chicago for a few days to see friends there.  

I have been working fifteen hour days reviewing the edited manuscript of GANNET 6 sent to me two days ago by the publisher.  A complicated experience about which I will not say more.

I did not get outside much today, but I did take a break this morning and took the short walk to the end of our pier.  The temperature was pleasant, as it is now.  I have hopes that the severe heat has finally ended.  Summer here is as limiting as winter is in the North.

I am sipping Tasmanian Pure Vodka.  Air temperature.  I have had to have drinks without ice on my boats and have learned that Laphroaig and Plymouth and Botanist gin and some other spirits have subtleties that are lost with ice.

I came out into beauty, of which the above photo taken with my iPhone does not do justice.  There were more delicate shades of color than it depicts.

I pause.  The sun was below the horizon when I started writing and is now long gone west.  The sky is black except for the light of a half moon visible just above the peak of the roof of this building.

I have led an odd life, including that I have known the beauty of this marsh, something which I had never expected.

L’Chaim.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment