Yesterday I carried the painted bowsprit back down to GANNET after spraying three coats of Petit Easypoxy onto it. I was fortunate with the weather while painting. We had little wind and no rain except for a brief shower one afternoon which did no harm. As you would expect paint dries quickly in this heat.
Having taught myself how to sail from books and magazine articles, for many years I called spars extending forward of a vessel’s bow bow spirits until Suzanne, who came from a New Zealand sailing family, corrected me.
I also doubled some of the dock lines, tied down the tiller, tied a line around the furled jib, and set up the running backstays, because we are leaving tomorrow on what has become since Carol’s retirement our usual August escape from the heat.
Tomorrow we fly to Portland, Oregon, where we will rent a car and Carol will drive us slowly down the coast to San Diego. While I lived in Oakland, California, for a year, I never travelled very far north of the Bay area and so the Oregon and Northern California coast will be new to both of us.
I am looking forward to the trip. I am not looking forward to the flights. We are due to land at Portland at what will feel to our east coast bodies 2 A.M.

No comments:
Post a Comment