Monday, August 17, 2020

San Diego: listed; insults; lessons


 
 

This morning I activated the listing at uShip for GANNET to be trucked to Hilton Head.


I also called Kasey, the rigger.  The new furling gear has not yet arrived.  Hopefully today.  If so it will be installed tomorrow.


A quiet morning.  The kayak rental is closed on Mondays.  


From Larry comes an amusing list of ‘when insults had class’.  I thank him.  Here are a few:


A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.

"That depends, Sir,"  said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."


"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."

      - Mark Twain



"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."

      - Billy Wilder


"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But I'm afraid this wasn't it."

      - Groucho Marx


Rik experienced a capsize in his Welsford Pathfinder, VANESSA, and has written of the lessons he learned.  I thank him for the link and am glad it turned out no worse.

https://pathfindervanessa.blogspot.com/2020/08/capsize-lessons.html



I walked to the supermarket yesterday and as usual Ubered back to the marina.  Uber and Lyft may suspend operations in California starting this week because of a law requiring them to treat drivers as employees rather than independent contractors.  I found myself wondering what I am going to do and then I remembered taxis.  How last century and how quickly we forget.


No comments: