Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Evanston: Elliot Bay; double bass; corruption of the monastery; age








Everything in this post except the photos comes from others.  I appreciate the assistance and I thank David, Tim, Larry and Bill.


From David comes a link to a video of beautiful Elliot Bay in New Zealand, but then much of New Zealand is beautiful.  Elliot Bay is just south of Whangamumu, one of my favorite anchorages, which I have often mentioned in this journal.  The photos are all of Whagamumu.  

When I first sailed to New Zealand in 1976, the population was about three million.  It is now about five million, a third of which live in or near Auckland.  There is still a lot of unspoiled land.  Saving it is eminently worthwhile.

Who knows, I might get back there one more time.

https://youtu.be/iwr7sYXL6hM



From Tim comes a video of Bach’s Cello Suite No. 1 being performed beautifully on the double bass.  As it happened I listened to that suite last evening being played on the lute.  I have also heard it played on the guitar, but never before on the double bass.  I have listened to it once and will again this evening while Carol watches the “evening news.”





From Larry comes a link to an article about Elon Musk’s SpaceX plan to cover the planet with satellite Internet.  As I wrote Larry I have mixed feelings about that.  If the price were reasonable, I would have a hard time refusing to be connected on ocean passages.  A serpent entering the Garden of Eden.  The monastery of the sea corrupted.  Quite possibly it will not be in place in time to test my character, such as it is.






And on Bill’s site I found a link to a speech given in 2007 by Tony Benn.  I did not know of him.  I like the speech without agreeing that power has passed to the people, whom I believe are still of all races controlled by the wealthy few.  He appears to have been an intelligent, compassionate and wry politician.  I did not know that was even possible.  Toward the end of the speech he says:

I’m 82 now, and it’s wonderful, if I’d known what fun it was to be 80 I’d have done it years ago, because you have a bit of experience and you don’t want anything. 


http://scapegoatsanon.blogspot.com/2020/06/tony-benn.html






No comments: