Saturday, May 16, 2020

Evanston: this morning; flies; cheap booze;



Steve Earley sent the above simply labeled ‘This morning.’   A pleasant enough spring day here in the upper flatlands, but not as beautiful as his.



I thank Michael, one of the myriad Michaels who read this journal, for a link to a story headed, ‘The Real Lord of the Flies’. 

I expect that many of you have read William Golding’s novel or have seen the movie.  I never liked either.  They were too grim and too brutal, though the first half of last century from which the novel sprang  was even worse.

The novel was published in 1951.  Twenty-six years later six boys lived the experience when they were marooned on a tiny island off Tonga for more than a year, but the result was very different from that of William Golding’s imagination.  I hope it is true.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months







The above comes from Ron for which I think I thank him.  The apocalypse is upon us.  Buy a case.










No comments: