Thursday, March 5, 2020

San Diego: turned; throttled; calm




I raised anchor and returned to the dock at 8:30 in the usual almost flat calm at that time.  The anchor came up clean which surprised me.  I expected mud, but we were over sand.  I had decided to tie up starboard side rather than port which requires a 180º turn between marina fingers.  In addition to being a straight in approach starboard tie provides better ventilation and a better view from the cockpit.  The disadvantages are that in the usual NW wind I am docking partially downwind.  I’m glad I moved early because today has become the windiest this week.  So far I’m happy turned.



Another sailor whose boat I pass going to and from the shore bought a Torqeedo and told me about their remote throttle which replaces the tiller arm that always has to be removed when I tilt the motor out of the water, leaving that connection exposed.  I immediately ordered one and it arrived today.







Reaching back to the tiller arm with one hand while steering with the tiller in the other and looking ahead while docking is awkward.  Now I will no longer have to.



My tiny TV died soon after I returned to GANNET this time.  I did not buy another.  It was an unnecessary complication and did not fit in with the way I want to live on board, even in port.  Not seeing TV gives me the blessings of not seeing what passes as news on TV and not having to listen and see a lot of strident people trying to sell me things I don’t want or need.  It also isolates me from fear mongering.  

Of the coronavirus I see signs of obsession.  To put this virus in perspective, it is not the bubonic plague.  From what I read the death rate is around 3%.  Perhaps higher among the old, which includes me.  I will certainly take precautions as outlined in the piece I posted in the journal.  I believe that the media has created hysteria.  I started to write disproportionate hysteria, but no hysteria is proportionate.   This may be a successful business model for them, but it is highly immoral.  I think we are going to live through this, and if we don’t, well people my age have had enough time.

You are not going to get out of here alive, people.  Get over it.