Saturday, March 28, 2020

Evanston: steps; two glass rule; slightly encouraging



Tim sent me the above screenshot of his activity app after his recent virtual marathon.  That is a lot of steps.  Note too the calories. 

Tim is an inch or two taller than I and weighs a little more and is more than twenty years younger, but we have about the same slim build.  I asked him about diet.  Surprisingly he does nothing special before running a marathon.  I am not sure where those 5,000 calories come from.  I expect he snacks after running a marathon and before playing the violin.



Carol and I are entering the second week of our self-imposed two glasses rule.  Having read that alcohol can have a negative effect on the immune system I decided on more disciplined consumption.  The rule is simply only two glasses per evening, whether wine or spirits or a combination.  Obviously glasses are not of equal size and to fill a double old fashioned to the brim with gin would be self-defeating.  Last evening with Thai takeout food we each had a glass of white wine and a martini.  One of my pleasures is to listen to music in the evening while sipping.  A couple of evenings last week I sipped while listening after Carol went to bed.  The temptation for a third glass of Demon Rum was strong, but I valiantly resisted.  In this case it was actually Demon Laphroaig, but Demon Run sounds catchier.






From today’s NY TIMES comes the above.  The numbers are still going up, but the trend is slightly encouraging.

No comments: