Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Evanston: social distancing; two movies; gypsum

Once again the herd is almost catching up with me.  Social distancing is in vogue.  I’ve been doing it all my life.

My flight from San Diego was about 2/3s full.  Most rows of three seats had an empty one in the middle, including mine.  I washed my hands twice in San Diego and again upon landing at O’Hare, after which I made it through the airport without touching a handrail.  With my defective depth perception this is probably more dangerous than catching a virus.  When I got home, Carol was looking particularly fetching, but I showered before giving her a hug.  

It takes me a day or two to make the transition from GANNET to condo.   I got myself and my devices sorted out yesterday.  I cannot update apps and OSs or do proper backups on the little boat.  Today I resume workouts.  I cannot possibly climb stairs without holding onto hand rails.  I’ll wash my hands afterwards, though only Carol, I and Jo, the woman who lives across from us use the stairs.

Carol went to the office yesterday.  It is closed today for at least two weeks and she is working from home.

I was amused to find the following in the NY TIMES.


It’s No Crime to Drink Wine by Yourself


At a time of public health challenges, self-imposed isolation does not require you to forgo good food or good wine, despite the social stigma.

Are people so dependent on the opinions of others that they need this reassurance.?  Obviously the answer is yes, or at least that some editor at the TIMES thinks so.  If a solo sailor doesn’t drink alone, he doesn’t drink, which is unthinkable.  Social stigma be damned.

I watched two good movies over the weekend.  One an all time great, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, which I have seen several times before, but not recently.  It might be perfect.  It is certainly enjoyable.  
The other was THE COMMAND, apparently shown with the title KURSK: THE LAST MISSION in some countries, which is about the 2000 Russian nuclear submarine disaster.  I found it well done and moving.



While much of the world has come to a halt, work is  progressing on the long delayed renovation of our Hilton Head condo.  Yesterday gypsum subflooring was poured.  This is huge.  Probably the biggest piece of the puzzle.  I am actually beginning to believe that more than two years after we bought the place it will become habitable, though probably with virus delays.  So far the South Carolinians are carrying on.