Thursday, January 9, 2020

Evanston: my last laptop; what I used to do


My five year old 12” MacBook is showing its age.  The battery needs replacing.  $200.  The display needs replacing.  $500.  So reluctantly I bought a new one.  Reluctantly because my IPad Pro meets 95%+ of my needs and is a very enticing device, but a few apps, particularly iWeb, only work on Macs, and I have almost two decades of photos on my MacBook that I don’t want to transfer to the iPad.  I attempted to move the photo library to an external drive which almost led to disaster and I will not try again.

Apple stopped making 12” MacBooks six months ago but a few big vendors still have them and I was able to find one with the specs I want.  It arrived yesterday and the setup and transfer of data went smoothly this morning.  This one is gold because gold was $100 cheaper than space gray or silver.  I can live with it.

Possibly this will be my last laptop.  I seldom make changes to my main website except to add new articles as they are published.  I did a few days ago add to the wit/wisdom page:  Read some poetry and listen to some Bach everyday.  I thought about adding:  And don’t eat too much.  But decided not to.  I do need to replace the chart with one that includes the GANNET voyage, but I expect that I can soon consider the website complete and add whatever new I want here in this journal.

I bought my first laptop in September 1992, a month after I sank RESURGAM.  It was an Apple PowerBook and at $2400 the most expensive computer I have owned.  It had 4 MB of RAM and a 40 MB hard drive and a slot for floppies.  Those are not typos.  I wrote two books on it.


Outside is gray and grim and gloomy and cold and unphotogenic, so I will be running older photos that I recently came across.  The above was taken by Patrick as GANNET and I entered Bundaberg, Australia, on the passage from New Zealand.  I thank him.



I thank Larry for the link to this Bliss cartoon.