Sunday, December 8, 2019

Denver, North Carolina: visiting



I ran a similar photo many years ago.  It is the view from our bedroom window at Carol’s sister’s home overlooking a cove on Lake Norman just north of Charlotte, North Carolina.  

All of Carol’s family has gathered here this weekend.  Her parents and her older sister and brother in law who live here and her two younger brothers and we various spouses.  

We will drive on Tuesday to spend two days at the Vanderbilt Biltmore Estate in Ashmore.  Neither Carol nor I have been there.

My rather admirable virus finally vanquished I am again feeling strong.  I am ambivalent about inspiring others, but I am a living fact that feeling strong at 78 can be an expected norm.  And while I am clearly in the last part of my life, I am not yet used up.

2019 has been a significant year in my life.  I completed my sixth circumnavigation, something I don’t believe any of the other more than seven billion Homo Sapiens on the planet could claim.  And I completed the ‘being’ part of my life.

It is also possible that none of the other seven billion misnamed Homo Sapiens have understood their lives as they have lived them as well as I have understood mine.

I do not know where GANNET will be a year from now.

I have my preference, which might surprise you, but I will adapt to whatever happens.

Smile, fool, and sail on.

I first wrote that more than forty years ago.  I stand by it now.

If you do not recognize the words  from STORM PASSAGE you might read the book.