Tuesday, November 5, 2019

San Diego: a study in senility: rugby; a price increase




Today was laundry day.  Being in the far corner of the marina, which is exactly where I want to be, I have the longest walk to the shore.  Marina gates are opened with key cards.  There are three gates between GANNET and the laundry room.  I swung the North Sails bag I use as a laundry bag over my shoulder and got all the way to the first gate at the top of the ramp to the shore where I realized I had forgotten the key card.  I walked back and got it, returned, continued through the next two gates, got to the washing machine where I realized I had forgotten detergent.  I walked back and got it.  At least I am getting exercise.


Those of you who follow rugby already know that South Africa defeated England in the World Cup Final.  After beating New Zealand decisively in one semi-final England were favored, but South Africa dominated and joined New Zealand as the only countries to have won the World Cup three times.  South Africa wins every twelve years, or every third World Cup.

Under Apartheid rugby was the white man’s game, soccer the black man’s.  South Africa’s rugby side  has been integrated for many years and their current captain is their first black captain.  My congratulations to South Africa.  My condolences to England.


An item in LATITUDE 38 says that the basic fee for transiting the Panama Canal is going to double January 1, 2020, from $800 to $1600 for boats under 65’ in length.

The first two times I transited the Canal I paid $125 for the 36’ RESURGAM.  The Canal was then under US control. In 2009 with the Canal under Panamanian control I paid about $500 for the 37’ THE HAWKE OF TUONELA.  Prices are certainly increasing.  However, considering that I paid at least $7,000 earlier this year to by pass the Canal, $1600 may be a bargain.



The above exceptional photo was taken by Steve Earley a few weeks ago on his annual fall cruise on his Welsford Pathfinder, SPARTINA.


Steve and I have a long understanding that we can republish content from one another’s site.  I thank him for letting me do so.