Monday, July 1, 2019

San Diego: a productive day




        I had a productive day yesterday.  Not so much today.
        Yesterday I rewired the bow running lights.  The wires had corroded.  I wonder how that happened?  And I started removing stuff, including other wiring that is no longer needed.  Some stuff, such as the Jordan drogue I put in the dock box.  Other I took to the trash.
       I moved the dinghy which was damp though it hasn’t been in the water since leaving Hilton Head on deck to dry.  Cleaned various things and rearranged stowage.  Then I biked to Home Depot and an adjacent Ralph’s supermarket.  At Home Depot I bought a tube of Plastic Wood and a set of small screwdrivers to replace some very rusty ones in my tool bag.  That bag is filled with rusty tools, a few of which can be salvaged, but most are going gradually to be replaced.
        The intent is to bring GANNET’s well worn interior back into respectable condition and to simplify her further.  One might think that the little boat is already simple, but clutter collects during a voyage.  I would really like to remove everything from her and put back only what is absolutely essential.  That will be difficult while living on her, but perhaps I can do it one area at a time.
        This is what the Great Cabin looked like 30,000 miles ago.  I do not expect to achieve that pristine state again.  I don’t look the way I did 30,000 miles ago either.

          Today I only filled some holes and a chipped corner of the partial companionway bulkhead and hosed the salt off my foul weather gear.  Usually I take it into the shower, but I have water readily at hand.  Modern conveniences.
        Carol flies here tomorrow for a long July 4 holiday and we will be staying in a hotel ashore, so my lack of ambition today is partially due to not wanting to tear the boat apart to start a long project.  And partially I am feeling lazy.

        Steve Earley took a photo of GANNET as she was Torqeedoing down San Diego Bay last Thursday.  http://logofspartina.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-brief-visit.html

        The top photos were taken from GANNET her first night back in this marina.
        The fairway between these fingers is used by kayakers and stand up boarders.  I have now seen three small dogs seemingly quite content on boards.
        I think I am going for a bike ride.