Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Evanston: I'm not buying this boat




        Added on to the heading above should be ‘but I’m tempted.’
        A link to more information is here.
        A month ago about now I was tying up to the CBP dock in San Diego.
        There appears to be some confusion about my future, which is reasonable because it is uncertain, but I may be partially to blame.
        First, there is no reason whatsoever that, having just completed a difficult and unparalleled circumnavigation I should know what comes next.  In fact to believe I should or would is quite unreasonable.
        I have written that April 29, 2019, ended the ‘being’ part of my life.  Whatever value and meaning my life has is already established by what I have done and written in the past forty-four years.  I expect that I will do more, but it will be incremental, not determining.
        I have never said, written, or even thought of giving up sailing.
        Which brings us to the above boat, a Gary Mull designed Chico 30 that I found in online boats ads.  That I was perusing them gives an indication of my thinking.
        I could sail GANNET across the Pacific to Opua and I’d rather like to, but I don’t even know what coast GANNET is going to be on at the end of this year and she is too small for both Carol and me.  I could buy a boat on the West Coast and sail it to New Zealand, which isn’t a bad idea now that New Zealand permits foreign vessels to remain in the country for two years rather than one.  Or I could buy a boat in New Zealand.  Or I could never return to New Zealand at all, which is a definite possibility despite my desire to.
        I have seen Chico 30s in the Bay of Islands.  I like them, the way they look and the way I expect they sail.  Gary Mull was a fine designer.  Big enough for two people and the asking price is about $20,000 US.
        Owning two boats did not work out for me before and my life is too unsettled to buy a second boat now.  But the idea of having GANNET in Hilton Head and a boat like the Chico in the Bay of Islands to spend the too hot South Carolina summers on is appealing.  Winter in the Bay of Islands is moderate and uncrowded.
        When I consider it, the thing I like least is the long transoceanic flights.

  For now I’m stopping looking at boats for sale and in an hour going to my ophthalmologist for a routine examination.  Having to check only one eye, he should charge half, but it doesn’t work that way.