Monday, May 6, 2019

Evanston: the easy life

        A week ago I was just rounding Point Loma.
        Last night I dreamed I was still sailing GANNET.  I started to get up to go on deck when I woke and found myself in bed.
        I am starting to recover.
        I found that I had lost more weight than I thought.  On our scale, which I believe to be accurate, I weighed only 145 pounds Saturday.
        I just did my age in push-ups to see if I still can.  I did not do the entire workout.  That will wait until later in the week.
       Yesterday was an atypically beautiful day in Chicago and Carol and I walked a couple of miles. 
        I notified BoatUS that GANNET is now located in California, which reduced the annual premium from her being in South Carolina from $690 to $180.  No hurricanes in California.  Yet.

        I reviewed the statistics for the circumnavigation.
        I tried to upload the document with all daily runs, but it does not format properly.
        As noted elsewhere the daily runs total 29989 miles.
        The best noon to noon run was 185 miles between Marathon and Hilton Head last year.
        The worst 14 miles between Balboa, Panama, and San Diego this year.
        The best week 1002 miles between San Diego and Hilo, Hawaii in 2014.
        The worst week 368 between Balboa and San Diego this year.
        The longest passage: Darwin to Durban  5814 miles 55 days.
        The shortest passage: Hilo to Honolulu 197miles 2 days.
        Not counting the anchorages while daysailing inside the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns to Cape York, Australia, or the side trip to St. Michaels, Maryland, we stopped only thirteen times.  This is not cruising.
        2014 Hilo; Honolulu; Apia; Neiafu; Opua
        2016  Bundaberg; Darwin; Durban
        2017  St. Helena; St. Lucia; Marathon
        2018  Hilton Head
        2019  Colon/Balboa; San Diego
        I believe we were under sail 302 days.

        My broken sleep pattern persists, but I am getting enough sleep.
        Last night after martinis,  Carol grilled salmon and vegetables with rice, and we finished the last of her birthday cake, followed by a sip or two of Laphroaig.
        We watched the recent remake of A STAR IS BORN in the afternoon and I watched the Cubs game in the evening. 
        Perhaps I have earned a life of ease in the flatlands for a while.