Friday, March 8, 2019

Balboa Yacht Club: maybe the solution

        Despite the frequent tsunami wakes from power boats, I like being on this mooring.
        We are a half mile south of the Bridge of the Americas, the first and for many years the only bridge across the canal, and the shipping channel is only 50 yards away.  Ships pass close and often.  They are moving slowly and not the source of the wakes, which come from smaller motor vessels, perhaps carrying pilots or other workers.
        Strong wind is blowing down the canal today as the last two since I left Flamenco.  It will be a good wind to leave on.
        Last night for the first time in a long time I slept in my lightweight sleeping bag rather than on it.
        This morning I scrubbed the deck.  The Raptor nonskid cleaned up better than I expected.  It was in places deeply grimed from workmen’s shoes.  It is not now pristine, but it is acceptable.
        Then I pushed the wires that run up the mast to the masthead light and the steaming light through the deck fitting and reconnected them to the panel and sealed the deck opening.
        I went ashore and found decent free wi-fi in the lobby of a nearby Radisson Hotel.
        While there a man came up to me and asked if I wanted a taxi.  I decided to have him take me to a good supermarket I remember from the past.  We made a deal where he would wait for me and bring me back.
        Rey Super Mercados are a chain here.  This one is a good one.
        I mostly was doing a reconnaissance.  I did not find oatmeal, so will have to settle for muesli.  I didn’t find trail mix, so will have to devise my own from dried fruit and nuts.  I did not find Laphroaig, which really isn’t a drink for this climate, or any other Islay single malts.  I did find other single malts and might buy a bottle of one.  I did surprisingly find Botanist gin and did buy a bottle.  If you are wondering, there was a duty free shop near the Flamenco Boat Yard and I already have several bottles of gin.  I don’t actually know how many.  You can't have too many bottles of gin.
        Ashore I asked Ricardo, who was the man who responded to my email request for a mooring and may be the dockmaster, about someone to go up my mast.  He named two men who work together, Richard and Mike, and said they often are at the small restaurant ashore.
        When I returned from the supermarket I asked some men there if they were Richard or Mike.  They were not, but knew them.
        I went back out to GANNET.  Ate a can of fish for lunch, then tried an idea presented to me by Andy in an email of tying a boat hook to another halyard and running it up to try to catch the swivel or the halyard to which it is attached.  I was not successful, so I turned to straightening up the v-berth.  In this I was successful, moving two plastic bags containing sleeping bags I do not expect to use to the stern.
        Launch service here is free and mandatory.  You cannot use your own dinghy from the moorings.  I called on the VHF for a ride ashore, went up to the restaurant and asked a likely group of four men if any of them are Mike and Richard.  Two are.  Mike is a New Zealander.  Ricardo had already talked to them.  They knew my boat and problem and said they will come out to GANNET about 9 or 9:30 tomorrow morning.  I am optimistic and deeply relieved.  I’ll be more relieved when the top swivel is in my hand.
        When it is, I will have to bend on the jib, not easily done in this wind.  Best first thing in the morning.  Top up the water jerry cans.  Only one is empty.  Another partially.  Make another run or two to the supermarket.  Do my laundry.  There are washing machines at the yacht club.  And get a haircut.  I might just chop off what little hair I still possess myself.