Sunday, February 24, 2019

Shelter Bay Boat Yard: challenged




        I have not lived on board before with the mast down.  It is challenging.  GANNET is in the most chaotic state she has ever been, on deck and below.
        When the mast was first lowered, it was resting on cushions on the deck and I could not open the forward hatch.  This made the cabin an oven with a temperature of 101º.  So I raised the forward end of the mast as close to level with the top of the bow pulpit and tied it there.  This enables me to open the forward hatch about 12” which lets in some breeze and reduces the cabin temperature to 95º.  Without my battery operated fan blowing on me the cabin would be intolerable, though last night it did cool off enough to be pleasant.
        The mast blocks much of the main hatch as well, leaving a barely Webb-sized gap for me to squeeze through.  Though I do routinely ding myself getting in and out of the cabin, being a skinny old man has its advantages.
        I removed the Windex and the dead Raymarine wind transducer from the masthead, coiled halyards and the running backstays, re-glued some sheet bags used for stowage in the Great Cabin.  I will not remount the Raymarine.  In time I will buy a wind instrument from a different manufacturer.
        There isn’t much more for me to do except wait for others to do their jobs.
        The metal bars on the ground below GANNET are the foundation of the cradle.  I am told it will take two days to build.
        The white tubes and mast just above GANNET's mast are another boat behind her.
        The mast is not properly secured for the truck ride, but I will leave that until as close as possible before the transport begins.
        A couple of readers have asked if I am going to turn on the Yellowbrick for the ocean to ocean drive.  I will if I remember and set the unit to update every 15 or 20 minutes.
        You can drive from Colon to Panama City in an hour.  However, the first several miles from the marina are on massively pot-holed roads and we will be going at a snail’s pace, or I hope we will. 
        As yet I have no idea when that will be. 
  

        The slipped furling gear spacer.