Monday, August 20, 2018

Evanston: storm front

Evening.  

         A storm front is passing.  Lightning and thunder.  Not cataclysmic.  I wish it were more severe.  I wish I were in it in GANNET far offshore.  This year has been too easy for me.  I need greater challenges.
        I just watched Clint Eastwood’s THE UNFORGIVEN, which I first saw in Littleton, New Hampshire in 1992, not long after I sank RESURGAM.
        I saw it then with people I thought were friends who proved only to be acquaintances.  A too frequent occurrence in my life, as perhaps it has been in yours,
        As I have written I was formed by legends of the American West and ancient Greece.  The most fundamental fact of my life is that I wanted to live a life equal to those legends.  Unabashedly I wanted to live an epic life.  Whether I have is a matter of opinion.  If you have been here a while you may remember the story of Abraham Lincoln at his cabinet meeting and know the only opinion that actually matters to me.
        The storm is outside.  I am inside, listening to Erik Satie’s TROIS GYMNOPEDIES on headphones.  A glass of bourbon is to my left.
        Life is hard.  I have always sought to make it as easy as possible.  But though seriously old, I still have strength that longs to be challenged.  I wish I were at sea.