Sunday, October 13, 2013

San Diego: end of season; intelligent life; failure; under consideration; oh, my





        Back in the Midwest, the sailing season is nearing its end.  All the marinas around Chicago close at the end of October, and my sailing friends are unbending sails and moving toward the storage yards, if they haven’t already done so.  I know of at least one boat that went up the Calumet River under jib alone, just for the fun of it.  Well, done, Dave and Mike.
        Most boats in most marinas are seldom used, but I observed when I lived here before that even in San Diego, where you can sail year round, usage is seasonal.  After the American Labor Day, at the beginning of September, there are very few people around.  
        I’ve certainly seen the contrast between when I was here in July and August and now.  No one waiting for the parasailing boat to go out.  Few activities at the kayak and board paddling school.  Almost no one on the docks.  And very few boats out on the water.
        I like San Diego best in the winter.  There is often more wind.  Everywhere is less crowded.  And the contrast to where I grew up most pronounced.

----------

        I have found signs of intelligent life on Earth.  Obviously it is not us.
        I have long believed that those species who came ashore, recognized the mistake and returned to the water, have demonstrated superior judgement.
        Now members of one of those species have proven to be very quick learners.
        ODYSSEUS, the 88’ motorsailor, has departed.  While she was an impressive vessel, I’m pleased because that opens up the space around GANNET and gives me a view out across the basin.  However that big open space is also inviting to sea lions, who now have two side docks on which to loll.
        However, they aren’t.
        After being chased persistently on Thursday and Friday, they have moved elsewhere.
        I was sitting on deck yesterday, listening to Detroit pitchers strike out Boston batters on the radio, when I noticed two sea lions swimming just off the mouth of the empty 90’ slip, eyeing me and the end of the dock.  I stepped from GANNET and walked toward them, saying, “Don’t even think about it.”  Heads disappeared beneath the water.
        Today one did flop onto the dock.  
        I started for the dock cart, but hadn’t even reached it or the sea lion, when I shouted, “Go!”  And he did.
        Repeated probes of defenses are to be expected, but they are to be admired as quick learners.    

----------

        Luis, the diver, came yesterday to clean GANNET’s bottom.  He found hard growth over almost all of it.  
        This is the first time I’ve used Pettit’s Vivid.  It really is white, as opposed to International Micron’s Shark White, which goes on grey, but turns white as it wears away during a passage.
        I only had two coats of Vivid on GANNET after laboriously removing her old VC17 fresh water only antifouling.  I had Luis clean the bottom in August, and it is possible that in doing so he rubbed away most of the Vivid.  However, I had noticed some growth on the rudder even before then.
        I planned to use Vivid when I anti-foul again in February or March, and still may to give it a second chance.  I’ll be in warm clear water next year and able to clean the bottom myself.  But I may just go back to Micron.

----------

        While a towed hydrogenerator would generate more electricity than I need, I am uneasy about towing a line and propeller.  Among other problems is that I’d have to bring it in under seriously adverse conditions if I have to deploy a drogue.  And the whole contraption just seems clunky.
        So I am considering adding more solar panels instead.  

        Here in San Diego, my four 25 watt panels provide more than enough power, and did so while underway on my sail down to Guadalupe Island and back.  However, San Diego has more sunny days than most places.  The purpose of adding solar panels would be to increase output under cloudy conditions.       
       
        The mock ups in the photos are either/or; not all.  Either the almost squares near the mast or a second set of the long strips on the foredeck.
        I’m considering shadows from sails and mast and ease of moving about the deck.  I don’t often have to go to the mast or the foredeck, and the panels can be walked upon, but I’d rather not.
        I’m still deciding, but at the moment am inclining toward the long strips forward.
        If I encounter conditions in which even extra panels don’t provide enough electricity to run the tiller pilots, I can go to sheet to tiller steering,  even (horrors) steer myself, or heave to and wait for sunshine.

----------

        Oh, my. (Click on the words to see why, oh, my)